Thursday, March 11, 2010

Site-Specific

I ended up choosing the hallway behind the cafeteria because, for better or for worse, it gave me the most sensory information from just standing in there--the smells, the sounds, the lighting...it's all very strong. Although, when choosing the space, I (like Allison) had no idea what I was going to write about, the ten minutes I spent in there recording how the room made me feel were actually very helpful. When looking over my notes later that night, I was able to come up with story line almost immediately, which made me very happy. The problems came when I actually began writing; I found it difficult to drive the play to where I wanted it to end up, especially within the limitation of 7 pages. I also, despite having a two person group, added a third character. The editing process has definitely been a challenge because I've had to find a solution to cutting out the third character, and when Hannah and I rehearsed in the space, I found it much more cramped than I had imagined when writing it. I'm kind of scared to see how it's going to turn out, but I think that the time I've spent in the space has been very helpful throughout the entire process. Hopefully it'll serve me well during the performance!

Just wanted to say that I'm really excited to see how everyone else's turn out, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment