Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Site - Specific Play

My play takes place in the nook next to the commons (across the vending machines). I realized when I chose this place I had no idea what my play was going to be about, and I realized other people probably had something in mind when choosing their location. Going into it I had no clue what to do, and even thinking about it over the next two days was a struggle. With the different ideas I came up with, none seemed to work or I didn't know how to make it into an interesting play in the limited amount of space I had to work with. I think I spent the most time going crazy over what to do for this assignment than any other and I was getting worried! Finally somehow I came up with an idea, and then my worry was keeping it from being boring. After writing some of it I realized there wasn't really a middle and nothing was happening in the play. It's a slice of life type of play, and all I imagined was people finding it really uninteresting. I was also worried about making the play realistic. Because my play deals with something I've never really dealed with before, I was worried that maybe my characters weren't acting the way that people like them in a real life situation would (this might not make sense until you see my play). I guess after working with the piece a little more I've been able to make changes and figure a few things out, but it is still really hard to figure out how to execute it with the space I chose. There is hardly any room for the characters move around and then I also have to think about where the audience will be and how the audience will be viewing the play from their angle. It's hard to figure all of this out given the limitations because we actually have to perform the play and make sure it works in the space. It's scary knowing that I have to share it with the class. Not only was thinking up the idea and writing the play difficult, but now directing and acting? AH! It's definitely a challenge and I'm just hoping the play comes across the way I want it to.

1 comment:

  1. I've been sneaking peeks at your rehearsals, Allison, and I think you came up with a really neat solution to a challenging space. I'd say that's been true pretty much across the board, so far. Way to soldier through a challenging assignment!

    ReplyDelete