Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Site-Specific Plays

Hannah's:
The production of this play as a whole was really impressive. I kept thinking how realistic the script sounded and Chandler's  detailed (if that makes sense) interpretation of these peoples' personalities was really great. It's not easy to switch between so many personalities in a couple of minutes, and I find that, personally, when I write, my characters start to sound like each other because they're all made up from the same brain. But all of Hannah's characters were distinct. And I really liked the switching on and off the lights and how Alis started all the way in back and ended up right in front of us. I may just not have caught on, but as a whole I was slightly confused about the order of events- as in, when are each of these characters supposed to be speaking and who/what is the main problem here? Except I didn't really mind not knowing because the performance/script itself was engrossing. And I liked how much the characters talked about the space itself (i.e. black pipes).

Chandler's: 
Again, another really realistic portrayal. I liked the silent awkwardness throughout the play, and I myself started to feel hot and frustrated when Chandler's character was feeling that way--which was a very cool sort of catharsis. The constant silence between the two characters spoke almost as much about their relationship as their words did. The very eerie "dungeon" set was too perfect, and I thought the single-light-bulbs had a really dramatic effect. I thought that the simplicity of the dialogue contrasted the complexity of the situation really well.

Julie's:
Julie's play was extremely fun to be in. "Teenagers" seems to be a theme in most of these plays (I wonder why...) and I thought that this was the most light-hearted. Julie captured teen awkwardness really well in the script, and during a couple of moments it almost felt real because as a teenager I guess I could relate to the sort of emotions being shared between boy and girl. And I think Julie's use of multiple entrances (with the maintenance man and the teacher) was really nice because it created an open sort of set that I imagined to have been extended past each exit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment