Monday, March 8, 2010

Site-specific play

I'm using the nook by the English office. I chose it because
a) I've always loved being in there for some reason, and
b) I thought it could be useful to have an "offstage" (up the stairs, out of sight of the audience).
It took me a while to come up with a concept, but I knew that I wanted the stairs to represent a balcony, and for the play to be about comfort and being sheltered. I definitely need to work on getting my message across (I don't think it's very clear, but instead it kind of just sounds like my characters are rambling about random things). Usually when I write, I struggle with being to subtle, but with dialogue I'm now struggling with being too obvious. It's hard to balance the two and make an interesting play with an important message, and it's definitely different now that I know my play will be performed in front of my classmates. It's good to know I'll have an audience who can give me feedback about my play, but it's also intimidating to have people judge my work since I'm so new at this. I hope it ends up being executed well, and I think everyone will like my costume element.

1 comment:

  1. I just read and enjoyed your play (especially the costume element)...and we'll all be pulling for each other. It's scary to have your work seen...but there's a lot to learn from audience reactions.

    ReplyDelete