Sunday, January 24, 2010

Victims (it's plural Vicky)

Okay, So I went to go see Victims by Sneaky Snake Productions at the Brick with Vicky and Oliver. I had to admit I was unsure at first, being unfamiliar with Sneaky Snake and knowing that the Brick is a hit-or-miss venue but I was pleasantly surprised. While all of what Vicky says was true I was flipping through the program and I came upon the mission statement of the company. It reads as follows:

1. Every Sneaky Snake production must have a mayor.
2. Every Sneaky Snake production must have a mayor's daughter. (who is killed in the first five minutes of Victims)
3. Overabundance: more screaming, more music, more sex, more puns, more more. The Classical unities and all other schema of dramatic balance be damned- like addicts and improv troupes, we must always say Yes.

This I find to be the best description of what Victims was, paired with Vicky's. While it was very good as a play, it also had serious production quality despite the size and budget of the Brick. The sound design was masterful, and the lighting, while perhaps too bright during the set changes (though there were few set pieces, again, I strongly dislike realism on a large scale set basis and this was exactly how much set the play needed.) did help a great deal with the tone the more intimate scenes.

I am interested to see Detectives, as it was very clear in Victims that there were gaps in the play that one can only assume/hope were filled in by Detectives. I might not have been as pleased with the gore as much as Vicky was but I found the deterioration of the photographer's character against the build of the Sheriff's character (after the Sheriff had died and was variously covered in large amounts of fake blood and even proceeded to pull his eyeballs out of his sockets at one point) an interesting juxtaposition. I'd also like to know how everyone wound up dead in the end, considering we didn't even see everyone die, which is surprising given the number of murders that happened on stage. It also dragged some, even though each part of the story was relevant, it felt somewhat poorly spaced, and a few scenes could have picked up the pace.

plus the playbill is very strange

No comments:

Post a Comment