Sunday, January 24, 2010

"Perfect Crime"

It is hard to fall asleep during "Perfect Crime". Some people may find it boring and confusing (myself being one of them), but with gun shots going off every two minutes, it is definitely easy to keep your eyes open during this play. "Perfect Crime" is a murder mystery. It's about a woman psychiatrist whose husband is shot and there's a detective trying to figure out what happened and the woman's patient is thrown into the mess too. I thought the set - the woman's house - was good. The four actors were pretty good too. The problem was that I was confused every two seconds to the point where I lost the gist of the story. Mysteries are supposed to be fun and interesting. They're supposed to make you think, but not to the point where you're completely confused, right? It was actually nice when I was able to figure out clues to the mystery during the show, but I never really knew what clues fit where and how and when it all came together. I think the problem must have been the fault of the script. I think I heard the actors' lines clearly enough, and yet I didn't understand what they were saying. I honestly think if the show was clearer, I would have liked it a lot more. I even remember the point in the show when the detective figured it all out, and even then I was lost. Actually, I don't know if it is totally the play's fault that I was confused; maybe it was my fault. Because I didn't understand what was going on from the very beginning, it ruined it for me for the rest of the night. There were times when I thought I knew what was going on, and then the next minute I was confused again. I left the theater saying "huh" and "what" countless times, and hours later I am still puzzled. I guess the play can't be as hard to follow as I think - it is the longest running play in New York City history!

No comments:

Post a Comment