Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chandler's Manifesto

I appreciate realism. Actually, I guess it's less that I appreciate it and more that I need it from theater. I need realistic dialogue, realistic scenery and props (if scenery and props appear in the production), realistic casting. I only believe it when people interrupt each other and stumble over their words and actually take the time to think and pause in the middle of a monologue, rather than just spew out words from memory. This is, of course, tricky, because there are so many plays that make a statement primarily because they are unrealistic. And then there are so many classics (Shakespeare's plays are prime examples) which are too dated and old-fashioned to be "real" in terms of dialogue. But this is not a deal-breaker! As much as I crave realism in a script itself, there are ways to interpret any script to give it a more true-to-life quality. For example, last year in the Madness in Literature class, we saw a production of Hamlet and, sitting there watching the show and then afterwards for at least I week, I became obsessed. I had never seen a version of Shakespeare that actually struck a chord for me, that gave these sometimes dusty words a new twist, a modern significance. I argue that this was due to the acting and direction of the show, but it's a good example of how even "unrealistic" scripts still have elements of reality in them. So basically what I'm saying, in a roundabout way, is that I will automatically appreciate a script if the dialogue and plot and stage directions are realistic. This, to me, creates good theater. But, even if the writing is not as relatable as I want it to be, good theater can still be created via the work of the director/technical crew/actors.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the importance of realism. If I don't believe a play, I won't enjoy it. All the things you mention, "realistic dialogue, realistic scenery and props, realistic casting" are the things that enhance the overall entertainment of a play. Whether I'm reading a play, or sitting in the front seat of its theater, I become engrossed if I can relate to what's happening and how the characters are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with what you're saying. I actually never really thought about it, but I think it is really important that what is being said is believable. I remember while I was watching West Side Story a few days ago, there were a few scenes where I felt some of what was said was so unbelievable, that I couldn't take it seriously. That could also be because of the way the actors delivered the lines, but still, I think it really does affect the show. I think one of the best parts about seeing a show is when you can relate to it, whether it is a character, a scene, or one line that you can connect to. I think realism is really important and thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is how I feel, too, especially your statement about stuttering and pausing to think. I always wonder if the actor is accidentally doing it because they truly are thinking, but I choose to think that it was purposeful and based on what the character would do. One of the 36 reasons was that something impossible has to happen in a play and I wasn't sure if I agreed, but I think that you hit the nail on the head with saying that something impossible does not have to happen, in fact in many cases it shouldn't, but if it does seem unrealistic (like Sheakespeare's dialogue) it's not necessarily a deal breaker--it just has to be executed in the right way.

    ReplyDelete