Thursday, January 21, 2010

Oliver's Manifesto

Edit: Having been informed that the manifesto assignment was intended to be in regards to theater, (I was led astray by the appeal of woodworking i suppose) I will attempt to re-apply my thoughts on glue as an analogy to good theater, an analogy the relevance of which surprised me. Good plays have a sort of glue in them, be it between the characters or within the plot, a sort of connotative glue that appears only in truly good theater. Glue can also exist as a connection between the actors and the audience, but most importantly within the plot and characters. The significance of the interactions between the characters is really what brings the plot elements together, while at the same time the plot is what gives the interactions significance. In this sense plays really can never live up to what life is really like, the predetermined nature of plays inhibits their success, ultimately. Following that logic, a truly great play is one with invisible glue, that is, a play in which the pre-determinability does not matter. This invisible glue keeps the audience engaged and entertained, while at the same time a suspension of disbelief is either unnecessary or very easy to adapt to.

1 comment:

  1. I love playing video-games. They are so much fun and can stimulate the mind like no natural occurrence. Where else will a teenager be aloud to run through the soccer-fields in Brazil or South Africa or where else can I play with guns without any danger to my health. Video games are also great time wasters. If someone needs to waist a couple of hours, my mom might say "Ben, go read" and my response would be "No thanks mommy, I'm going to fly an airplane...while sitting on the couch."

    ReplyDelete