Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Present Laughter"

Present Laughter is a play by Noel Coward, written somewhat biographically. It is about a famous British movie star in the 30's whom everyone adores, and he adores himself of course. It is full of charming characters and a very light plot that presents great laughter. I enjoyed it so much! Not only were the performances some of the best I have seen in a long time (not a weak link in the chain), the writing was incredibly funny and smart. The fast paced language makes it easy for clever jokes put in on almost every single line--plus every character is completely hilarious. They range from a star struck writer to a wife to the aging housekeeper. Everyone in the "lifestyle" of the rich and famous who might encounter this rich, handsome, flawless (on the outside), pompous, dashing man. I though the director (Nicholas Martin) and the actors (Victor Garbor stared) truly brought the play to life. Even though the first Act was a little bit long and hard to get through, the acting made it interesting for me. There was always another character coming onstage. Furthermore, I found out something about the plays title at the talk back after the show. Someone asked what the meaning of the title was since it is not exactly explained in the play, and no one says it in the dialogue. However the title is from a line of Shakespeare which I now forget and was oringinally called Sweet Sorrow which is also from Shakspeare: "Parting is such sweet sorrow." So I thought it was a great great performance and it was cool to go backstage after the show! (I know one of the cast memebers because my mom taught her). I definitely recommend it! It is on Broadway, so not exactly the cheapest of things...but Noel Coward is a playwrite to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment