Monday, February 8, 2010

Advice from plays concerning rough drafts.

1) From my experience, the plays that I have seen have all, from the very start, given their characters a distinct personality that is easily labeled by the audience. So, my first piece of advice would be to immediatly give the characters in your rough draft a distinct personality so that when people actually read your rough draft play they can comment on whether or not they got a sense of who/what that specific actor sounded or felt like.

2) A good note about rough drafts of plays is that I find the more broad the concept the better feedback one can get. The reason I say this, is because when I notice a part of a play that I did not quite enjoy, it usually is a specific section of the entire play. So, if a play is broad then people can give the writer better feedbeek concerning the entire play/tone/feel instead of hating one single part that, if needed to be chagned, could result in the rest of the play becoming bad.

3) Lastly, I find that giving a detail that, isn't disticntly stated within in the play, really helps to drive the comments the writer gets into a direction that will allow the writer to make the play even better. The reason being, that the audience is left geussing as to what that mysterious detail ends up becoming or actually was. They then proceed to give the writer ideas as to what it could possible be, and, if some of the ideas are actually good then the writer, for his final draft, has an idea that makes his play even more interessting.

No comments:

Post a Comment